Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Yeah Yeah

In the last few weeks I have had some very special dad moments.

A few weeks ago the annual BMW Celebrity Pro-Am was in town. I thought it would be great opportunity to spend some quality time with my son who loves all sports. In order to really make myself out like a hero I checked Cal out of school early which immediately gave me super dad status. His face lit up as if it were Christmas morning as I explained to him where we were going. Other than helping him understand why Tiger and Phil were not at this tournament even though it was a tournament for professionals, we had an amazing afternoon. We followed groups around as they bombed the ball of the tee, fired dart-like approach shots and drained lengthy putts with ease. Calahan and I were both amazed with the abilities that the seemingly normal athletes displayed. It was a really good day until we decided to sit and watch a few groups finish their round on #9. As one group finished, two players walked up to Calahan, smiled at him, and tossed him their golf ball. Almost speechless with shock and excitement, he managed to say thank you as the players gave him a high five and walked off. It was a total thrill to experience that moment with him.

That same weekend, I watched my 6 year old little girl score a soccer goal. While most people saw a busted and broken play, I saw a skilled player maneuver down the field weaving between defenders as she strategically placed a shot into the back right corner of the net. I might as well have been watching Mia Hamm score a National Championship winning goal for the Tarheels. As she half skipped, half ran towards me in excitement, I was overcome with the same feeling I had the day before with Calahan. I wish more than anything I could bottle those feelings up to use them on demand at a later time.

As I reflect on those moments I am reminded of 1 John 3:1, "See what kind of love the Father has for us, that we should be called children of God." If I can be overcome with love, joy, peace and happiness over the simplest achievements and special moments for my kids, how much more does God smile upon us daily because of the masterful accomplishment of his son Jesus. It's just one more subtle reminder of the goodness of God and the all sufficiency of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment