Monday, May 10, 2010

Anxiety

1a: painful or uneasiness of mind usually over an impending or anticipated ill.

According to Merriam, this is the definition of anxiety. I don't consider myself to be a very anxious person but "uneasiness over anticipation" most definitely describes my current state.

For the past 30 minutes I have been staring at my iCal in disbelief. With summer quickly approaching, I am feeling the mounting pressure of an insane schedule. By the time August shows itself on the calendar, I think I am going to need cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

During the next 80 days when I'm not sunbathing and drinking lemonade, I will be doing one or a combination of the following:

5 high school graduations, 6 soccer games, 2 retreats, 5 interns, 2 mission trips, football meetings and football practices, 4 bible studies, 16 teaching "opportunities," numerous graduation parties (the count is still rising), 1 missions conference, at least 20 more blog entries and 1 wisdom tooth extraction!

Ha, while composing this post, I have received 2 e-mails: one for another graduation party and one for another teaching opportunity. This is definitely going to be crazy summer. Ironically enough, summer is my favorite time of year. Travel, pools, lots of time with students, outdoor activities, and of course yummy fruits and vegetables. So uneasy = yes, a little anxious and overwhelmed = yes, but the chaos of my summer is anything but an anticipated ill. Soon the haze will lift and my colorful calendar will no longer seem like a burden. A brief moment of clarity is sometimes needed to remind me what a great privilege it is to be able to do and experience all of the things God has placed before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment