Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sleep

I found this prayer to very appropriate for all who have every longed to get some much needed rest.

Blessed Creator,
Thou hast promised thy beloved sleep;
Give me restoring rest needful for tomorrow's toil.
If dreams be mine, let them not be tingled with evil.
Let thy Spirit make my time of repose a blessed temple of his holy presence.

May my frequent lying down make me familiar with death,
the bed I approach remind me of the grave,
the eyes I now close picture to me their final closing.
Keep me always ready, waiting for admittance to the presence.
Weaken my attachment to earthly things.
May I hold life loosely in my hand,
knowing that I receive it on condition of its surrender;
As pain and suffering betoken transitory health,
may I not shrink from death
that introduces me to the freshness of eternal youth.
I retire this night in full assurance of one day awaking with thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment