Monday, January 26, 2009

Fresh

One of my favorite pastors, Mark Driscoll, refers to the "Monday morning blues" as bread truck Monday. After teaching 6-8 times over the weekend he suggests that the only occupation he wants to have on Monday is to drive a bread truck. His reasoning is he will not be forced to think or talk, and he will have a limitless supply of bread to comfort him. At some level I can relate to Mark. There is something "not so fun" about Monday morning and the emptiness it can bring.

But recently I have found myself longing for Monday morning. There is something exciting about a fresh start. I mean, the reality is that last week is only just a few hours ago, but it seems like a distant past. And what lies ahead begins to take on new meaning and urgency. I seem to gain clarity about what needs to happen as stale dates, numbers, and "to-do's" seem to gain life and meaning. It's like a do over, a new start, a time to begin with a clean slate. And most of the things I messed up last week will face me again. But this time there is the potential to handle them with more love, compassion, detail and excellence.

I usually start my Monday with a 6:00am work out (thanks D-Spann) or basketball game. After a few minutes with the family we all take off to start our week. I then spend the next few hours studying, reading, praying, listening to music and sermons and planning. I have designated Monday morning to preparing for the future. It could be as simple as planning for a meeting that will take place within a few days, or as complex as thinking through how and when our high school students will spend their summer in various countries around the world.

Another "tradition" I have added to my Monday morning routine is listening to "New Day" by Robbie Seay Band. It has been one of my favorites for over a year now. It captures the thoughts and emotions of beginning, newness, and starting fresh regardless of how life may have treated me in the past. In a way, it stirs my soul and reminds me of who I am, and even more WHOSE I am. It serves as a constant reminder that my Father sees me as clean, fresh and new because he sees me through the lens of Jesus. Knowing the truth that all of my sins (past, present, and future) have been paid for, and that Jesus continually intercedes on my behalf gives me meaning, purpose and hope to know that things can be different this week. Ultimately, my hope is not in my actions but in the person of Jesus. So if you find yourself struggling to "get in gear" on Monday mornings, I encourage you to follow the prescription found in the lyrics of "New Day." Try beginning your day with hope, coffee, and melody!

No comments:

Post a Comment