Friday, April 30, 2010

Wait

It's just about lunch time as I write, and already, life for the Keevers has been turned upside down (oops, maybe a poor choice of words). Early this morning, Kelly woke up with a bad case of the stomach virus. Since that time, our day has been a chain of mess-ups, changes and cancelations. Here is a sample of the day we didn't expect:

Dad had to do Harper's hair = She has to Wait for another day to wear it the way she wanted.
Trip to BP for a coke for Kel = Wait for 3 people to have a ridiculously long conversation
Scheduled golf match = Wait for another day (hopefully as beautiful as this one)
Getting a prescription from the doctor = Wait 2.5 hours just to have him call it in
Pick-up at Pharmacy = Wait, Wait, Wait because they can't find the order
Scheduled plans with friends tonight = Wait for another time
Trip to Allendale tomorrow = Wait for another time

So you get the picture. Wait! Wait! Wait!

The Psalms are filled with verses that command God's people to wait on him. When reading the sacred literature, I routinely blow past that word, not fully grasping what it meant to the original audience or what application it may have for me. Quite honestly, I'm not very fond of waiting (see above). I mean who is? Our society has pampered us with instant access to just about anyone or anything anywhere. Fast food restaurant, delivery services, cell-phones, and the internet have done a great job of masking the harsh reality that exist for all creatures. Over the past few hours a quote from my seminary professor Dr. Jeff Bingham has been rattling in my head. "Every time we have to wait should cause us to worship." The fact is, God alone is exempt from waiting. He created life by speaking it into existence. He heals wounds and diseases. He calms storms. And all in an instant! God is not bound by time. It's just one way we are distinct from our creator.

Instead of getting frustrated, upset and even angry over waiting, I want waiting to remind me that I am just a creature. And that no matter how technologically advanced our society becomes, I will always be bound by such limitations. But God isn't, and he never will be and that brings reason to worship our creator.

So this afternoon, and hopefully in the future, I will worship while I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment